How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have sole custody of my two year old son. The custody papers

Resolved Question:

I have sole custody of my two year old son. The custody papers state visitation as parties agree. I am not nor was I ever married to his father. His father has had substance abuse issues for the past 3 years and has spent time in institutions and jail. He is in jail now. I also have a petition for child support in place which my son's father has not been paying. He should be getting out of jail soon and he's going to be calling me to see the baby. Do I have to offer him times to visit with the baby or does he have to take me to court. My son's father does not have a car, I don't think he's capable nor do I want him to have the baby alone. If I have to let him see the baby I would only want supervised visits. How do I go about doing that? Does he have to take me to court. My son has Down syndrome and is on a rigorous time sensitive schedule. He goes to preschool and daycare 5 days a week and he has therapies at home 3 to 4 times a week. My son is doing very well on this schedule. I work full time and own my own home. I support my son, without any help at all from his father.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

WebLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

WebLaw :

Welcome to JustAnswer,
I am the expert that will be assisting you today. I am a New York licensed attorney.
If my answer is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

WebLaw :

It appears from your post that visitation is that your discretion. You have sole custody and the father is only granted visitation as you agree. Therefore if you do not think that the father is capable of caring for your child alone, you may restrict visitation to visitation under your supervision or deny visitation. If the father disagrees with your decision, his remedy is to file for modification.

WebLaw :

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.

Ellen and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions