How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been divorced for 3 years and now my ex-wife is getting

This answer was rated:

I have been divorced for 3 years and now my ex-wife is getting remarried and she has threaten to take me back to court to raise child support, does her new husband's income affect how much child support I have to make?
Thank you for your question.

The answer is generally "no", the amount of support you have to pay is almost solely dependent on your wages and also on the wages of your spouse. His wages are not relevant to your possible obligation.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if my ex-wife has a master's degree in accounting making $50,000 plus a year and quits her job because her new husband is a millionaire and she doesn't want to work any longer?
That does not change in any way your obligation toward the child, I am afraid. You still have to pay your own support even if the child will not want for anything based on the changed circumstances.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does the judge go by what I make a year? I bring home $2000.00 a month after taxes, what would my child support payments be? I don't claim any dependents.












Thank you for your follow-up.

The judge goes by your gross wages, not what you bring home, and also bases it on a percentage of custody. You can go to this link below where the Alabama child support guidelines are listed, and use that to calculate your own approximate obligation:

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you