How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what if he is no longer residing at the primary residence and

This answer was rated:

what if he is no longer residing at the primary residence and he has someone else care for our daughter on his days?
Please tell me more about the situation, what is the current schedule, what does he do with his time, etcetera.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we have joint custody. primary residence is at the marital home. he works swing shift 12 hours nights and days.

As a general rule, any request for a modification of the custodial arrangement must be based on some substantial change in circumstances. If you are stating that the other parent now works 12 hour shifts and is therefore unable to properly care for the child, then this might constitute a substantial change in circumstances.


If so, you would need to file a petition with the family court requesting a modification. While it would be preferable to retain an attorney, you might consider handling the issue on your own. If so, you could begin by going to your local clerk of court. The clerk should have template documents that you could use for this purpose. Simply tell the clerk that you are interested in modifying your custodial arrangement and they can provide you with the appropriate documents.


Please let me know if you require any clarification.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you