How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband is keeping me from seeing or talking to my

Customer Question

My ex husband is keeping me from seeing or talking to my children. How can I fight back?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I've spent the last several minutes reviewing and researching your question. As you review this answer, please keep in mind that I only get credit for answering your question if you click Accept, so I'd be grateful if you'd do so. You'll still be able to ask follow-up questions using the Reply feature.

I'm very sorry to hear about the situation! I can only imagine how difficult that must be.

When two legal parents separate, they have equal and unlimited rights to children until such a time as a court orders otherwise. This means that neither parent can typically force the other parent to provide access to children for visitation without a court order. However, if a parent wants to visit with children or to establish clearly defined custodial rights, the parent can petition the court for custody/visitation rights and the court can then make a determination regarding those issues. Such a petition is filed at the Clerk of Court's Office. The court will then evaluate the details of the situation to determine, considering every fact relevant to the best interests of the child, what arrangement serves the needs of the child. Upon making such a determination, the court will enter an order according to the child's best interests. As a general rule, unless a parent is absolutely unfit, the parent will generally be entitled to receive some degree of visitation with a child. It's well-established that, absent special circumstances, a child's best interests are served by regular contact with both parents.

It's possible to represent one's self in such matters, but it's much better to retain an attorney, as few people are able to adequately represent themselves due to the complexity of the law and legal procedures. While it's not possible for me to provide direct referrals in this forum, I can provide you with some great resources that you can use to locate an attorney. It's important to remember that each attorney sets his/her own prices and each attorney decides which clients to accept and which clients not to accept, meaning that an individual may have to look around a little bit to locate an attorney. and Martindale are great resources. Both of these sites permit you to search for an attorney based on the attorney's field(s) of practice and geographic region. Further, the sites often provide additional information, including links to participating attorneys' websites and, in some cases, reviews of the attorneys. This information can help you to evaluate your potential selections.

Local Legal Clinics are often available for individuals who cannot afford to retain counsel on their own. These clinics provide free/discount services to those in need.

Local Lawyer Referral Services are also helpful, as they can direct you to attorneys in your region based on practice area.

Local Legal Clinics:
Local Lawyer Referral Services:

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I don't get any credit for my time and effort spent answering your question unless you click Accept.

Please use Reply to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!