How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2455
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is a possibility that I have a 10 year son. The mother

Customer Question

There is a possibility that I have a 10 year son. The mother of the child denied he was mine for years.about four years ago she finally admitted he could possible be mine. There is another "father" in his life that signed the birth certificate. I would love to be a part of my sons life and for him to know the truth. Can I take any legal actinium this case?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 5 years ago.

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

This depends on what state you are in and the relationship of the other "father" to the child. Is that person married to the mother?

Customer: She and I both live in Illinois. As does the child. The other guy was a boyfiend at the time of birth an signed the birth certificate. He has been in his life since
Steven Kincaid :

Give me a moment...

Steven Kincaid :

You can file a Petition to Establish Paternity and request genetic testing. It is up to the Court to decide whether or not to grant the DNA testing. If the judge feels that the child's life would be too disrupted by questioning paternity at this point, the judge can simply deny your request, leaving you with no recourse. The Court could, however, allow you to proceed with DNA testing and adjudication of parentage.

S. Kincaid and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She an I along with child live together off an on for the last four years. Although the child did not know I was his real father. The other guy jst recently got a DUI with him in the vehicle.
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 5 years ago.
That would definiteliy increase your chances of being able to proceed with the paternity case.