How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2511
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen and my child was born in Mexico. Can she

Customer Question

I am a US citizen and my child was born in Mexico. Can she become a US citizen, and if so, how?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 5 years ago.

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

She can and the exact manner depends on many things:

Steven Kincaid :

First, is her other parent a United States citizen?

Steven Kincaid :

Second, how long have you lived in the United States?

Steven Kincaid :

If you are both U.S. citizens or if you have lived in the U.S. during the required time periods, then your child would automatically be a United States citizen. If not, you would have to petition for your child to get a green card and then citizenship.


Her other parent is not a US citizen. Would I need to petiton my child? Is there anyway I can register her in the US even if she was born in Mexico?

S. Kincaid and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 5 years ago.
When you accepted we lost the chat option, but we can continue in question and answer mode. Have you lived in the U.S. most of your life?
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 5 years ago.
If you are the father, your child will automatically be a United States citizen only if:

1) Your paternity has been established
2) You must have been physically present in the US for at least 5 years, 2 after the age of 14.

You can work with the embassy in Mexico to establish cigtizenship at birtth, or if your child has already been born, you can apply for a passport (you will need the other parent's permission to do this). If you cannot get the other parents permission, you need to file a form N-600 to get Certificate of Citizenship. I suggest you do not do this unless necessary because it is far more expensive.

If these things are not so, your child is not automatically a U.S. citizen at birth and you will still have to petition for your child.