How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have two minor children, i have not had any legal documents

Customer Question

i have two minor children, i have not had any legal documents to have my rights termanited,but my com in law husband took them to flordia to avoid going to jail ,while i was in jail . he didnt have my permission to leave with them,also he knows that my oldest son isnt his ,and the youngest may not be either. his name is XXXXX XXXXX of their birth recordes. but now he is suining me for child support and coustody. i havent seen my two youngest children since sept.6th of 2006. what can i do to be able to see my children with out causing any more disruptions in their lives. i dont want to remove them from their stable enviroment, but i feel as though i have a right to see them. i need paternity on them both.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

As you were not married, either of you would need to file a paternity action. A paternity case would discuss paternity, custody, support and any other related issues.


If you believe that he may not be the father, you may request a DNA test. As you may know, such a test is typically about 99.99% accurate. Meaning, you would definitely know whether or not he is the father.


And yes, based on the facts as you have described them, you certainly have a right to be involved in their lives, whether as the primary custodian or through a visitation schedule.


Please let me know if anything requires clarification.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.