How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31680
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed a contempt petition against my ex husband for several

This answer was rated:

I filed a contempt petition against my ex husband for several violations of multiple court orders. We have a short list hearing tomorrow. I found out today that his attorney is no longer representing him but she previously did inform him of the court hearing tomorrow. Any idea what happens if he doesn't show up or if he shows up without an attorney?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


If he doesn't show up, the court can do a few things. The court can find him guilty of contempt and issue a bench warrant for him since he didn't show up. He would then be arrested and held until the court could schedule a new hearing on this matter.


Or, the court could continue the hearing and have him served with a subpoena to appear.


My guess is that the court will find him in contempt and issue a warrant for his arrest.


Also, if he does appear without an attorney, the hearing will proceed as scheduled and he'll be required to represent and defend himself.


It is possible that the judge would continue the case if he asked for time to get an attorney, but this is not guaranteed.


Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions