How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my brother needs to be ward of the state. are mother can no

Resolved Question:

my brother needs to be ward of the state. are mother can no longer do it. she has alzheimers. i can not handle him too, on top of everything else. what can i do to get him in. he can have a much better life, i just know it
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.

My name isXXXXX am an Attorney and would be glad to help



1. In which County of Ohio do you live ?

2. How old is your brother ?

3. In 1 or 2 sentences, please explai what you mean when you said that your mother can "no longer do it" and when you said that you "can not handle him too"

Thank you and I look forward to your Reply,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cuyahoga county. He is 54, turning 55 in may.
I live with are mother, in a suburb of cleveland. He lives in cleveland.
I work 40 hours a week. She has alzheimers. I am trying to deal with issues.
The doctor just told her no more driving last thursday. Every day since she has
asked for her keys back. I am worried sick. I get sick at least 2 times a week.
I have a boyfriend who is very understanding. I hardly get to see. Put it this way I love him that is why i am trying to get him help. I love her too. I have no quit time to myself at all.
I just dont have the means to support him too. Are mother is a great mother, she has done a lot for us. He is not in the right frame of mine, hasnt been to a doctor in 3 years his teeth
are rotten, he does not bath, he lives in filth. He wears glass on top of glasses to see.
He is on social security disability. his money does not go very far. Are mother
pays a lot of his expenses out of her own pocket. 400 rent, then his phone, electric
food. then of course smokes. When he needs shoes or furniture or clothes she pays
for it. She needs every penny, she has right now to pay her medical bills as well as
food, smokes and the bills we split. I go to alzheimers meetings once a month, the people their can not believe what i have been through, and that it is getting worse.
tried telling my brother around the holidays about mom, he got really upset. He will not
have his waitress no more. He calls all hours, wakes me up. so i have to keep the phone off. My mother is up and down all night waking me up as it is. sorry so long. I am stressed big time worried about my job, we are slow right now. might lay people off. God i hope not. Hope your answer helps me out. have a nice day.
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 5 years ago.
When you stated under "Already Tried" in your original post "guardianship they truned me down", Did you mean that you asked the Court to appoint you the Guardian of your brother, and they truned you down, or did you mean that you asked the Court to appoint a third party as Guardian for your brother, but the Court turned down your request ?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no never went to court. I do not want to go to court, for him. I will go for her if I have to.
Become guardian of her. I talked to Ms miller that works for the guardianship.
She first said, your mother has to write a letter giving up care giving for your brother.
Last January. I told her she said, no don't do it. Once I got financial power of attorney over her in July of last year. I called her back. She said, what you have told me he is being taken care of. I told her he is a mess medical. She said, that guardians spend time
with the paitent. Pay their bills. Take them shopping I guess. She said, they do not tell the person they have to go to a doctor. do not force them in other words.
If something is not done with him soon. Being that he has not had his medication in i dont know how long. He might show up at the house and do something. He has done that before when he was not on his med. Had me up against the house with one arm way over my head. My shoulder was sore and bruised for a month. Another time my mother came and woke me up, saying she had to call the cops on your brother,
cause he was strangling me. After are mother went to court in parma. The next thing i
knew he was at a place in garfield heights being studied. She just kept telling mom i
want to go home, i dont want to be here. I think she is scared of him. Does what he wants. When every he calls, she jumps and does what he wants. This is wrong, very wrong. Especially at her age. If she knew he was safe. Being taken care of, she would
be more at easy.
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 5 years ago.
I truly feel badly for your situation, but I am at a loss other than to tell you to contact Ms. Miller again and ask her to make all the necessary arrangements, including going to Court ad having the Court declare your brother incompetent. Once that is done, the Court willn appoint a Guardian for him and will take the burden from you and your mother.

You can both rest easy knowing that you did everything possible to help him and now he will have a Guardia whom the Court has appointed and who has experience in dealing with these situations. That is all that you and your mother can do. Once your brother is settled in and has a Guardian, you and your mother can finally breathe a sigh of relief and start giving yourselves the attention each of you was giving to your brother.

I wish you all the best,

Even if you are on a subscription plan or have made a deposit to JustAnswer, you still need to click ACCEPT for my Answer(s) before I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you for your understanding


Please be kind enough to press "ACCEPT", otherwise I do not get paid anything at all

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are appreciated

ANDREA, and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you