How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are taking in my 15 yr old nephew in KY.

Customer Question

My husband and I are taking in my 15 yr old nephew in KY. My husband can't get him added to the health insurance plan because company policy requires proof of legal guardianship or custody. We are doing my sister in OH a favor because she is so financially strapped. We just want to know what would be the least complicated/expensive way to get him health insurance coverage. What is your advice?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.


Guardianship is the easiest and fastest solution. You get an affidavit from the mother stating her wish for you to be the guardians then you get a motion from the local family law court to petition for guardianship and attach it to your motion then appear at a hearing, the mother should attend, and the court will issue the guardianship order.