S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

I am a resident of Vancouver , British Columbia Canada. I have

Customer Question

I am a resident of Vancouver , British Columbia Canada. I have been seperated from my wife for 3 yrs , I am not divorced or have a seperation agreement. I do have a signed section 57 declaring our financial independence from each other. So here is the question if I were to buy a property in the state of California knowing they abide by a common property rule, does she have any stake in the property purchased if I use no money that was gathered during the marriage at the point of the divorce? Is there anything I can do to protect myself or reassure myself this won't be a problem in the future
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 5 years ago.

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

First of all, if your wife does not live in California, California would not have jurisdiction over your divorce, so California's' community property rules would not apply.

Steven Kincaid :

Second, if your wife does live in California and files for divorce there, community property rules could apply; however, if you did not use community property to pay for the real estate and you are clearly separated from each other, then the real estate you purchase would not be community property under California law.

Steven Kincaid :

Is there any other information I can provide for you?