How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get a protective order against an ex-boyfriend & his

Customer Question

Can I get a protective order against an ex-boyfriend & his wife if they have a key to my house, which I had to have the locks changed. They both showed up at my house last night. She threatened to shoot her husband & anyone he was sleeping with. She punched him like she was Mike Tyson on my front porch & is calling & texting me? I have not been with him in over a month & they were in the middle of a divorce & are now reconciling, but she wanted me to give her information. According to him she has been in several fist fights, broke a beer bottle over her own sisters head & police have been called out to their house for domestic violence more than once. She is known to go to the shooting range, however, I do not know if she actually owns a gun. He has said that he that if he winds up dead to "make sure they look at her first".
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I've spent the last several minutes reviewing and researching your question. As you review this answer, please keep in mind that I only get credit for answering your question if you click Accept, so I'd be grateful if you'd do so. You'll still be able to ask follow-up questions using the Reply feature.

Repeated contact that causes an individual to be fearful for her safety can serve as a basis for a Civil Petition for Personal Protective Order. Such an order can prevent an individual from engaging in further contact and, if the order is violated, the individual can be subjected to substantial penalties. Further, if an individual is being harassed by a former significant other, a protective order may be available to prevent further contact from that individual as well. However, if the ex's significant other is the only one engaging in the harassment, that would not provide a basis to seek a protective order regarding the ex, even though it would provide a basis to seek a protective order regarding the harasser herself. An individual may seek to establish such an order by filing a petition at the Clerk of Court's Office. Forms should be available at the Clerk's Office.
Further, threatening an individual's safety is a crime. Such a matter can be reported to law enforcement and the state may pursue criminal charges.

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I don't get any credit for my time and effort spent answering your question unless you click Accept.

Please use Reply to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!

Related Family Law Questions