Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

This question is for PaulMJD 1)I had my hearing with the…

Customer Question
This question is for PaulMJD 1)I...
This question is for PaulMJD

1)I had my hearing with the court on January 20, 2012 on Defendants
Motion to Dismiss. The court stated it was taking their motion to
dismiss under advisement and would rule on Feb 16 2012

2)Plaintiffs (me) I filed a motion to amend Motion for leave to file amended
Complaint on January 20 and the hearing was Jan 30, 2012, my previous
motion to amend was stricken, because I did not have the amended
complaint attached, Now the court stated I have it attached and the
court will rule on the same day Feb 16, 2012.

3) The Court ruled on Feb 16, granted defendants motion to dismiss 2-615
and denied their motion 2-619.

4) and denied Plaintiffs (me) Motion to amend

NOW, I WANT TO KNOW,

CAN I RESPOND WITHIN A 30 DAY PERIOD FOR EACH COURT APPEARANCE.

A)CAN I RESPOND BETWEEN JAN 20th AND FEB 20th ? (with a Motion)

B) CAN I RESPOND BETWEEN JAN 30TH AND FEB 29TH? (with a Motion)

c) CAN I RESPOND BETWEEN FEB 16TH AND MAR 16TH? either with a
Motion to Vacate?, or a Motion to Reconsider? and file a Notice of
Appeak if I need to, or should it be a Motion to file a Late Notice of
Appeal?

The court ordered documents from the Defendant Jan 20th Order and they
have ignored the courts order, can i show cause (contempt) by the defendants responding within the Jan 30th and Feb 29th period. I requested the same
after theydid not send the document to me and the Court in their ruling did
not mention the requested documents from the defendants. I need to attack
these issues, tell me how?

Hope you can understand,what I'm asking is can i still show cause for contempt
of Court by the Defendants? I dont want to submit my motion to reconsider now
I want to file this motion on contempt of court and then lastly file motion to
reconsider and if necessary notice of appeal within the last date of the ruling?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/27/2012
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
If your case was dismissed, then you have two options. First, you can file a motion to reconsider, which is typically a waste of time because the court rarely changes its mind. Your next filing will now have to be a Notice of Appeal within 10 days of the ruling, so you are running out of time. Then you have to file your appeal with the court of appeals next citing all of your case law and legal support regarding the errors you believe the court made. This is your next step, not a motion for contempt or reconsider.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

My question is Can I respond to any order within a 30 day period even if the

case is dismissed for the record?

No, you cannot, you need to file a notice of appeal, that is your response and then file your appeal to the higher court and get them to hear your appeal as to why the case should not have been dismissed.

1) I have another question, please explain the test for Motion For Reconsideration in the circuit Court of cook county in Illinois, there are three (3) requirements to meet,

what are they?

a)Should I ask for leave of court ti file Motion For Reconsideration?

b) Should I ask for Extension of time for Leave to file Motion To Reconsider Motion To Amend Complaint?

c) Should I add " see attached Complaint"?. Can u Tell me the proper legal language?

Under IL law, the purpose of a motion to reconsider is to bring to the trial court's attention (1) newly discovered evidence not available at the time of the hearing, (2) changes in the law, or (3) errors in the court's previous application of existing law. The decision to grant or deny a motion to reconsider lies within the trial court's discretion. See: Stringer v. Packaging Corporation of America, No. 4-03-1080 (4th Dist. 2004).

I would strongly suggest to you that you skip the reconsideration and file a notice of appeal and file your appeal.