Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was terminated for harassment when I told another employee…

Customer Question
I was terminated for harassment...
I was terminated for harassment when I told another employee I knew his mother over thirty years ago. He said he didn't want to know anything about it because he knew his mother was not a very nice person when she was younger. A few minutes later he said ok go ahead and tell me. I told him I came home from work and she was in bed with my husband who is now my ex husband It caused a divorce. I then asked him who is dad is, he said he didn't know. The termination letter stated harassment and misconduct.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/24/2012
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Unfortunately, employment in KS is considered at will unless you have a written contract of employment to the contrary. This means the employer can fire the at will employee for no reason at all or for any reason that is not based only on your age/race/sex/disability and your sole recourse is filing for unemployment. The conduct you described is neither harassment or misconduct and it is not sufficient to constitute good cause to terminate your employment or deny you unemployment benefits. I am afraid though that the only recourse you have is in unemployment proving that this was not significant misconduct and as such your termination was without good cause such that you would receive unemployment benefits.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

can i go to the labor board and ask for my job back?

I am afraid not, unless you are a union employee and then you would have to follow the grievance process in your union contract. All you can get is unemployment.