Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Im being charged with "failure to send your minor children…

Customer Question
I'm being charged with "failure...
I'm being charged with "failure to send your minor children to school in violation of Educational Article 7-301" This si actually a violation of probabtion. I'm in MD & my lawyer told me that for every unexcused absence w/o a DR's note I'd have to pay a fine of $50.00 each. Well threre's 7 each. 4 for my son & 3 for my daughter. equaling 7... meaning I have to pay $350... but that's not what gets me so much... He also told me there's a 10 day sentence for every unexcused day as well. 10X7=70 ... So does that mean I have to do 70 days in jail? HOW IS THAT GOING TO HELP THINGS? MY KIDS DEFINATLEY WON'T BE ABLE TO GET TO SCHOOL IF THERE MOM ISN'T THERER TO TAKE THEM!!! DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS????????? PLEASE!!!!!!!!! ; )
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/23/2012
Family Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be glad to help you.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

What was the reason your children did miss school?

They all were Dr's note covering them except 4 for my son & 3 for my daughter. per my unsupervised probabtiopn I wasn't supost to hsve them miss any days w/o Dr's notes

Thank you for your follow up.

What are you on probation for?

Did the lawyer who advised you about the penalties speak to your probation officer?

Do the terms of your probation specifically state that your minor children that you have are not permitted to miss any days from school without doctor's note?

the probabtion is for back in last october for yhe kids missing too much school. im on umsupervised probabtion, so i don't habe a P.O.. and yes to third question.

Thank you for your follow up.

This is a tough situation that you are in, since you have already been found guilty of the same offense/violation and put on probation and I would also be concerned about potential custody issues, where the state child protective services might be notified and might consider taking the children away or interfering/questioning your custody in some other way.

What you attorney informed you about is probably correct, but it is your attorney's job to go before the judge and explain why you should not be sentenced to 70 days of jail and how it will negatively affect your children and to give you another chance. Also it is possible that you might be able to either pay a higher fine or do an alternative sentence such as a number of hours of community service instead of any jail time.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated