Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

i am going to file for divorce after a 5 year marriage with…

Customer Question
i am going to file...
i am going to file for divorce after a 5 year marriage with 1 child and i am an active duty military member and i will be filling in the state of washington and i need to know what i'm going to be looking at(child support,court fees,lawyer fees,etc...)
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/16/2012
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Costs? Nominal. A few hundred dollars IF you and your soon to be ex can agree

A divorce can be either contested or uncontested

Uncontested; Now the fastest, (and by far the least expensive) way to get a divorce is if you can agree on the terms. If you can agree on "who gets what" there is not a need for attorneys...this will cut the costs to a very small amount (court fees)

Contested; if you can not agree, this is a contested divorce. To proceed you need an attorney or need to act as your own attorney (very bad idea). Here the parties present evidence to the court on "who gets what" and the court decides. This take longer and involves attorney fees for both sides.

As for support...you can see what you will pay here

Link text
P. Simmons, Lawyer
my command has shown be a navfac that states that i have to give her 50% of my check before the divorce is finalize...i think? she wants 50% of my check as of her terms...i feel as if that is way to much money...what legal action can be taken?
50% of your check?

I think that is off....take a look here

Here is the link

it shows 1/3 gross
I have a child so it is
Then it is 1/2 gross