How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Domestic Your Own Question
John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
John Domestic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good Morning, My husband is in the military and we are station

Customer Question

Good Morning, My husband is in the military and we are station in Mcguire AFB, NJ. Our Daughter contacted us that her husband does not want to work, only go to college at night and they were getting evicted. They gave us a power of attorney for the 4 children. Ages 10, 8, 5, 1. At the base housing they are asking us to get a court order with giving us the guadianship, eventhough the POA indicates it is giving us the Legal guardianship of the Children. We are now in NJ an the father is in Miami. What do we need to do. Our daughter came with us because she is going to college but she can not take care of they children by herself and want us to have the legal guadianship. Thanks in advance. Sincerely, XXXXX
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John Domestic replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.


What is base housing preventing you from doing? The POA / Guardianship agreement is legally all that you need. You do not need a formal court ordered guardianship.


If they are forcing you to get a guardianship you can file for guardianship in New Jersey. You will need to get the father to sign a consent to the guardianship on the court forms. You would file this in the surrogates court in the county where you live. They can give you the forms and likely will give you general instructions on filing the forms to obtain guardianship. I would only do this if absolutely necessary. Like I said the documents you have should be plenty.



I am cannot provide you with specific legal advice. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear John..."


Related Family Law Questions