How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28371
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend inherited his house from his grandparents wen

Customer Question

My boyfriend inherited his house from his grandparents wen they passed away in 2000. His grand parents added a room to the house in 1989 and the company that financed the room that was added went bankrupt in 2003 or so. When my boyfriend came back from the navy he got an apartment and allowed other family members to stay in his grandparents house for several years. When found out that they were not paying the house taxes for about 3-4 years he asked them to leave, paid the taxes and moved in in 2008 in 2009 he received a letter from wingspan stating that they r taking the payments for the room his grandparents in 1989 and they are behind he called them and they said he had to pay and the balance was about $5000 or so he started paying them up until august of 2011 web he realized they were a collection agency when they asked him to settle for $800 and the balance was $2800 now the sent a letter from the law company saying we have to pay $6900 or they will foreclose the house my question is do they have the right to do that and if so wut process do we need to take to prevent the foreclosure.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.


They could sue him to collect on the debt and if he did not pay, place a lien on the home but it is not likely that for such a small amount, that a court would allow them to force the sale of the home to satisfy the judgment. If he does owe the money, he should just pay it or try and work something out with them, for a payment plan.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Even though it was under his grandparents name and social security number
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.
Do you know if this company placed any type of mechanics lien on the home after the work was done and they were never paid? Did he ever assume the loan/debt or was he just making payments on it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He was jus paying it. he received notification that the company went bankrupt around 2002-2003 and they were not asking for any payments it just popped up out of nowhere around 2009 and he really didn't do his research before he started paying them.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.
It is possible that the company would have lost the right to collect on the debt, based upon the statute of limitations running. However, when he started paying it again, it could have revived their ability to collect. The reason that they said they would go after the home itself, could be a result of him never assuming the debt. At this point, your boyfriend really needs to consult with an attorney who can look over the specific facts of the case and ALL legal documents, to see if this company have the ability to bring a lawsuit and even if they do, if there are any defenses. If the home is pay off, he has a large financial interest in it and does not want anything to happen, which could jeopardize it.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.
Has he consulted with an attorney?