How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer Lori Your Own Question
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2161
Experience:  Divorce, custody and child support attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawyer Lori is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our son is facing child support issues for his son. Due to

Customer Question

Our son is facing child support issues for his son. Due to many factors, we have been assisting him monetarily. Is this assistance considered as income for him in MN?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 5 years ago.

Lawyer Lori :

Income does not include gifts received from third parties. So, your financial assistance is not included in income. However, a court can impute income if he is under-employed or unemployed in "bad faith" in an effort to avoid paying child support.

Lawyer Lori :

To show bad faith, there must be evidence of:

Lawyer Lori :

  • Past Income information;
  • Past employment history;
  • Educational history;
  • Documents or awards related to education or work achievements;
  • Documents demonstrating that previous employment was voluntarily terminated.
  • Lawyer Lori :

    Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

    Related Family Law Questions