How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawrence D. Gorin Your Own Question
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1544
Experience:  30+ years family law experience. QDROs, UIFSA, UCCJEA expertise.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawrence D. Gorin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I came across the following blurb and its a little confusing.

Resolved Question:

I came across the following blurb and it's a little confusing. A court can require counseling, but is that just up to the judge's discretion or is it something that can be requested?

"When parents with minor children (under 18) separate, even absent divorce, Oklahoma law allows courts to require counseling. "

Read more: Legal Separation in Oklahoma |
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawrence D. Gorin replied 5 years ago.
In the court's discretion, counseling can be ordered by the judge on the judge's own motion OR upon the request (or motion) of either parent. Nothing prevents a parent from requesting the judge to order counsel, but the final decision is up to the judge.

If your question has been satisfactorily answered, please acknowledge by clicking the green “ACCEPT” button in the upper right hand corner of your screen. That’s the only way I can receive compensation for answering your question(s). Also, PLEASE BE SURE TO LEAVE A FEW WORDS OF FEEDBACK. And I thank you in advance.
Lawrence D. Gorin and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you