Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

WE BOUGHT ALOT OF PRE IPO FACEBOOK STOCK AND IT IS IN BOTH

Customer Question
OUR NAMES HOWEVER WE ARE...
WE BOUGHT ALOT OF PRE IPO FACEBOOK STOCK AND IT IS IN BOTH OUR NAMES HOWEVER WE ARE MARRIED JUST 1 1/2 YEARS IS THIS CONSIDERED COMMUNITY PROPERTY ALTHO THE STOCK WAS BOUGHT FROM FUNDS FROM MY HUSBANDS ACCOUNT
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2012
Family Lawyer: LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney replied 5 years ago
LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney

LADY LAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you today. Did you buy this while you were married?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

are you there?

LADY LAWYER :

Yes\

LADY LAWYER :

Anything you bought during the marriage is community property and is split between you 50/50.

LADY LAWYER :

It does not matter that it was bought from an account with only your husband's name on it.

Customer:

then it is considered community property?

LADY LAWYER :

It also does not matter that you were only married 1 1/2 years.

Customer:

i researched found the stock and did the transaction

LADY LAWYER :

None of that matters. As long as you were married at the time it was bought it is community property and is split in half.

Customer:

problem is it will not begin to take flight until after facebook opens and then we must wait i think 120 days before selling..

Customer:

we bought half million in stock through a group we own 1/2cmillion in the overall

LADY LAWYER :

It does not make a difference when you sell it it only matters that it was bought during the marriage.

Customer:

won't the court want to split? or i suppose we can just leave as is however who manages it

Customer:

so it would be 250,000 as an asset not a payment correct

LADY LAWYER :

No, they will leave it together and order that once it is sold, you are to split it.

Customer:

i mean i would have to have the group clarify my shares apart from his and

Customer:

have them issue me a seperate certificate

LADY LAWYER :

That can all be done prior to the sale, yes.

Customer:

ok just got your earlier missive --so the offer he has nade me for 100 thousand plus car must be sepetate and in addition to stock as i must live

Customer:

boy oh boy my spelling

LADY LAWYER :

If the divorce decree is issued before you sell the stock, then they will put in a provision that the stock is to be split upon the sale.

LADY LAWYER :

:) No worries.

Customer:

what about his claim that i have to take on his real estate losses from trust which has properties in it from before our narraige?

LADY LAWYER :

Okay, let me try to explain.

LADY LAWYER :

You two can agree to any kind of split you want to.

LADY LAWYER :

You can take 30 percent and he can take 70--as long as you agree to it.

Customer:

gotcha

LADY LAWYER :

But, if you went to court and let a judge decide, then everything that was bought during the marriage is going to be split 50/50.

LADY LAWYER :

Now, the deal he is offering you may be a better deal than what the law allows you to have.

Customer:

so it may be smart to go forward to court?

Customer:

yes it may this is very helpful

LADY LAWYER :

It depends on how much was made during thhe marriage.

LADY LAWYER :

You probably will not be eligible for spousal support because of the length of the marrige.

LADY LAWYER :

marriage

Customer:

he is retired and a multi millionaire we arr both older he is 80 i'm 66 however he did make substatial investment of a million and had return of about 400,000

Customer:

no pre nup i was told about only 80,000

LADY LAWYER :

Okay. You do have an attorney, correct?

Customer:

could have made more working

LADY LAWYER :

You are not using one of his, right?

Customer:

i have an attorney i'm consulting my husband refuses to mediate its his way or the highway and wants to privately agree

Customer:

he wants me to use his attorney and have them draw papers --mind you not to divorce but to assure me if i leave now or within year this is what i'll get and no more

LADY LAWYER :

Well then you should consider court. If even to find out about all the assets and liabilites during the marriage.

Customer:

correct he will add a certain amount every year i stay

LADY LAWYER :

You can still settle before trial, but at least he will be forced to mediate.

Customer:

liabilities?

LADY LAWYER :

Do NOT use one of his attorneys.

Customer:

okay

LADY LAWYER :

Any debts during the marriage.

Customer:

like what?

Customer:

we have no debts

Customer:

he had had real estate losses on a few properties in his trust which i inherit mind you if he dies but i own nothing now and i'm not on trust except

Customer:

trust in his name alyho all to me in the event he dies

LADY LAWYER :

Okay. Then you don't need to worry about it.

LADY LAWYER :

It would just be like credit cards, etc.

Customer:

we pay off each month

Customer:

okay then he cannot charge me with his business real estate losses

LADY LAWYER :

Okay, then it is moot.

Customer:

very clear thanks so much

LADY LAWYER :

Not if they are business losses from a corporation, LLC, partnership, etc.

LADY LAWYER :

You are welcome!

LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney