Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I want to make sure my son has no contact with the biological

Customer Question
father. Even if I something...
I want to make sure my son has no contact with the biological father. Even if I something happens to me. What are my options?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2012
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Please explain in a bit more detail what is going on. For example, is the father on the birth certificate? Is there an order of custody in place already from a court? If you can give us more facts it will help us to try to give you the information you need.
There was no name on the Birth Cert when my son was born. Due to TANF I had to name a father- there was a paternity test and his name was put on the birth cert. There is a child support agreement in place- I have not seen a cent so far. Nor has there been a single visitation since the day after he was born, no phone calls etc. There has been no contact at all, but I also have no Will or anything set up. I want to make sure that if anything happens to me, my son will be in a positive and loving environment.
In order to do what you want, you would need to first try to terminate his parental rights. If he agrees to voluntarily terminate his rights that is fine and you would file a petition to voluntarily terminate parental rights (which does not legally terminate support obligations) in the court and you would need an attorney or an attorney from legal aid to do so. If he refuses to voluntarily terminate his rights then you would need the attorney to file a petition to involuntarily terminate his rights based on extreme parental disinterest, abandonment and non-payment of support. You can also get the attorney to draft a will and in the will name a guardian, but this is not as sure of a thing because he could contest the guardianship in a will as the biological parent.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Suppose he terminates his parental rights, and I file the Will saying he should not get my son if something were to happen to me... and if something did in fact happen to me- would he still have a shot at getting my son?
Relist: Other.
need more clarification on details
Family Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 5 years ago
Thank you for your post. Your expert went offline due to the lateness of the hour. Unless you need information right away, I will inform him via email that you are seeking him out, and he will respond back to you once he logs back online.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.
If he terminates his parental rights he has no legal right to try to claim the child as he has given those rights up.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer