How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Meigs Your Own Question
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1346
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Meigs is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my question is if someone gives up a child age as of an infant

Customer Question

my question is if someone gives up a child age as of an infant to a personal friend and later about 2 years the aun mothers sister decides that she wants to raise the child does the child go to the aunt or stays with the woman who has been raiser the child? the friend has legal custody signed by the biolocial parents!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 5 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello! I can help you with this question.

meigs004 :

Allow me to post my standard blurb about accepting answers here on JA.

meigs004 :

I will then address your question specifically.

meigs004 :

If at anytime you feel that I have adequately provided you with an answer to your question, then if you would please click the accept button so that I may be compensated for my work that would be very much appreciated. Also, bonuses are optional, and are certainly not required, but very much appreciated. Remember, clicking the accept button does not prevent you from asking further questions on this post, and will not preclude me from continuing to answer your questions and provide you with research.

meigs004 :

So the friend has sole legal custody of the child?



Meigs and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Meigs replied 5 years ago.
In that case the only way the biological mother could gain custody of the child would be to petition the court to modify the current custody arrangement. If the individual raising the child has established a good relationship with the child, and there are no circumstances to warrant the removal of the child, then the biological mother will have to fight in court to regain custody of the child. I will represent to you that the court does prefer that children remain in the custody of the natural parents if at all possible. However, since there is an existing custody arrangement in place, the biological mother will have to petition the court.