How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Meigs Your Own Question
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1346
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Meigs is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in new York and my mother receives child support and

Customer Question

I live in new York and my mother receives child support and I have never seen any of it is there a away I can get it switched to me if I am over 18 which I am 19 now
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 5 years ago.
meigs004 :

Hello! I can definitely help you with this question.

meigs004 :

Allow me to post my standard blurb about accepting answers here on JA. I will then address your situation specifically. Please read carefully.

meigs004 :

If at anytime you feel that I have adequately provided you with an answer to your question, then if you would please click the accept button so that I may be compensated for my work that would be very much appreciated. Also, bonuses are optional, and are certainly not required, but very much appreciated. Remember, clicking the accept button does not prevent you from asking further questions on this post, and will not preclude me from continuing to answer your questions and provide you with research.

meigs004 :

Do you currently have custody of your child?

JACUSTOMER-5zm7j3ug- : I'm not the parent I am the child
meigs004 :

Ok I see. You are trying to retain some of the child support that your mother gets from your father?

JACUSTOMER-5zm7j3ug- : I am not the parent I am the child
meigs004 :

How much a month does your mother recieve.

JACUSTOMER-5zm7j3ug- : Correct
Expert:  Meigs replied 5 years ago.

Ok I understand your situation now. Unfortunately child support is meant for the custodial parent to take care of the minor child. Absent some agreement to the contrary, the parent is to use the support as income, and provide for the child accordingly. The child support may be for your benefit, but there is not a way for you to get the money specifically without an agreement stating that you are entitled to it.

Related Family Law Questions