How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16720
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Went to mediation for a divorce agreement. After the papers

This answer was rated:

Went to mediation for a divorce agreement. After the papers were typed up and mailed out, my current husband had refused to sign them. I am limited on funds and I already borrowed money to pay for my half of the mediation. I am currently unemployed. I have to sons by my persay spouse ( who is stationed in another state ). What should I do next? Social Service said it will take 6-9 months for child support. I am at my wits end. It seems all I can do is walk into walls.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Was a child support ordered by the court in your case?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nothing has been filed by any court yet Their father is giving me full custody.

thank you for your follow-up.

Do I understand correctly, that a divorce petition has not been filed with the court?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, we went to mediation for a divorce agreement. Now that the mediator has the forms all typed up and mailed to us. He is refusing to sign them. What step can I take next to get a divorce and child support for our 2 sons? I can't keep borrowing money from family so what can I do next to get a divorce?
thank you for your follow-up.

Once again I'm really sorry about your unfortunate situation.

Generally, mediations are nonbinding unless the mediation is designated as a binding mediation and nonbinding mediation does not guarantee that a settlement would be reached or that any proposed settlement would be agreed to later.

Generally, someone in your situation would need to file a divorce petition in the local Family Court and along with the divorce petition the motion for temporary child support and if applicable alimony can be filed.

The court would set the motion for hearing and will establish the amount of child support that would be ordered to be paid monthly based on the income of both spouses and the percentage of custody of the minor child.

I would strongly suggest for you to consult with an experienced local divorce attorney and if you're unable to afford a private attorney, you can contact your nearest legal aid Society and they might be able to provide youwith free or low-cost legal services and representation in your divorce proceedings.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!

Alex J. Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you