How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

just wanted to ask will i be able to claim my kids on my taxes

Resolved Question:

just wanted to ask will i be able to claim my kids on my taxes return this year, if my children and ex wife lives with someone else less than a year?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

did the divorce decree specify who gets to claim the children?
also, have the children lived with you more than 50% of the year??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we werent married. just common law married. no they stay with thier mother.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but i do have a text were she say's that i can claim them this year. not sure if that helps any
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
You cannot claim the kids unless they live with you more than 50% of the year per the IRS regulations. I just got your other reply. If you trust her to keep her word in the text and allow you to claim them and she is not claiming them then that is between you and her but if she ever gets angry and wants to go to the IRS or claim them when you claim them, it can cause you big penalties and interest. The IRS says you cannot claim them because they do not live with you more than 50% of the year. What you and her want to agree to is up to you. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you