How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been ordered to pay maintence to my ex-wife to pay off her debts...the maintenence

Resolved Question:

I have been ordered to pay maintence to my ex-wife to pay off her debts...the maintenence is rougly 50% of my salary can i stop paying ....what would the penalties be.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

what's a "cicil" attorney?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry...civil attorney. she told be I would go to jail and have my wages garnished because the maintenence agreement was signed by a judge...even though I was never notified about the court proceeding.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
if you didn't know about the divorce, when did you find out? why didn't you appeal the decision?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We went to a mediator and I signed the papers agreeing to the payments because I wanted a divorce from her without the arguements,,,so I agreed to the debt. After being seperated she continued to ask me to come back and I did. We lived together again and she told me she called off the divorce. After a few months together we again decided it wasn't working out and she called her attorney. The original papers I signed at mediation were presented for the final divorce degree. I was never notified about a court date. She just told me the divorce was final.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Ok, that's because you had already agreed to the payments and the divorce had not been withdrawn. in any event, if you fail to pay she can file a motion for contempt with the court. there will be a hearing and the judge can hold you in contempt which may include fines and or jail time. If you cannot play because you have a change in circumstances you should file a motion to modify the payments and the judge may reduce the payments. It is better to attempt to modify rather than to just stop paying. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you