How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have some concerns. My wife and i have permanent custody

Resolved Question:

I have some concerns. My wife and i have permanent custody of 2 of our grandsons. We are care givers for our 7 month old grand daughter. We have had her since she was 4 days old. there have been 2 continuances on the adjudication hearing. I drive 2 hours to get to these hearings and these continuances are talked about in a back room and i am told come back for the next hearing. I have concerns that my grand daughter's best interests are not being considered. The GAL doesn't say a word at any of the hears we have. How do i get standing in the court. Do I have to hire and attorney? If i have to do that it will sure put a dent in our finances. I am raising 3 children on my retirement income.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

I'm sorry to hear about this problem. Since you have permant custody you already have legal standing to be heard but I would suggest you retain an attorney to represent you. You should contact your local legal aid to see if you qualify since you have custody and live on a fixed income. Also contact the local attorney bar association to see if there are any attorneys that are accepting pro bono cases in your area that can help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have permanent custody Of my grand daughter she is still in states custody. The continuances only serve to run me out of time to file for permanent custody. Do I have standing in the court? in the case. can I can the Judge to set aside the continuances since I was not allowed to be present during that meeting?
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.
You can seek standing as a relative source for the child. However, you would need to file a petition to have standing. You are excluded from the conferences because you are not a party. I suggest you retain an attorney to force your petition for custody.
Daniel Solutions and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you