How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where can you get a marriage certificate that is NOT recognized

Resolved Question:

Where can you get a marriage certificate that is NOT recognized by the US
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - There are some 190 countries in the world so it would be impossible to research all of the reciprocal agreements with the US in regards XXXXX XXXXX licenses. Some of the places that come to mind are North Korea, Cuba and Iran which are countries with which the US does not maintain diplomatic relations. I'm not exactly certain what the purpose of your question may be but an additional problem is that we have 50 states in the US, each with their own domestic relations laws. Since marriage laws are not Federal you would also have to research the 50 states to see what marriages are recognized from foreign countries.

The best suggestion I would have would be to decide where you want to marry and then check whether that marriage would be recognized in any of the 50 US states. Trying to list all the places and whether they would apply in all 50 states would be an impossible task.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The situation is this: Qatar is a country that my significant other and I hope to be employed. Qatar states that in order for us to "live together in Qatar" , we must be married. We do not want to the US to recognize us as a married couple ( which we are not) but we want the have a license that says we are married for the Qatar requirements to live together.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Are you both US citizens?

If you are in Qatar I'm not certain why it would matter if your marriage was recognized in the US or not?

If you ever moved back you could get the marriage annulled or get divorced.

I'm just trying to understand your concerns.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are both US citizens. We will be moving to Qatar for employment purposes. My understanding is that we will not be able to live together because we are not married. If we are required by Qatar "law" to be married to live together .... where could we get married that would be recognized by Qatar "law" but nit valid by US law. In order for me to keep receiving military retirement pay from my deceased husband, I cannot be officially married.... I want to keep receiving my late husband's retirement and I also want to work in Qatar and live with my significant other. that is why I would like to know if there is a location where we could be married to fulfill the Qatar requirement but yet be recognized by US law.

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

I understand. I have no way of researching this issue due to the reasons I stated above. My guess is that wherever the places are would not be places you would want to go to get married and jeopardizing your retirement would not be worth the opportunity to live together. My suggestion would be to talk to a representative of the Qatar government and explain the situation. It may be that their laws only apply to their citizens or that there is a way around the problem. The other problem you may face is that if you go to one of these bad places to get married Qatar may not recognize it the same as the US. So you really are in the position of asking me to find a place where the US would not recognize the marriage and Qatar would.

The other possibility is that in the US you must have a marriage license to be legally married in most states. Maybe Qatar has some religious ceremony that would qualify as a marriage but would not be a legal marriage for US purposes. Only Qatar would know that. I'm also not certain how anyone in the US would even know you were married in another country and when you return to the US you would never have to declare your marriage.

Finally, you may want to check with your retirement benefit provider to find out exactly what marriages are recognized and whether a foreign marriage is something you need to be concerned about. Beyond that I simply have no way of locating a country that you would want to go to where the marriage is not recognized in the US.

Dave Kennett and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you