How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEase Your Own Question
LegalEase, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 897
Experience:  Experience in handling divorces, custody issues and child support quandries.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalEase is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex partner has changed our childs surname to her maiden

Resolved Question:

my ex partner has changed our childs surname to her maiden name with out my consent. child is nearly 3 years old. she hasnt even notified me of details about her nursery etc and the only way i found out about surname was in a text message from her a few days ago then when child came to say i noticed it on labels on medicine bottles given to me in case. what can i do about this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalEase replied 5 years ago.
Are you legally named as a parent on your child's birth certificate?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i am both her mother and me were registered on birth certificate when she was born nearly 3 years ago.
Expert:  LegalEase replied 5 years ago.
Then I am at a loss as to how she changed your child's name as your former consulting attorney was right. A child's name can only be changed by agreement of both legal parents, OR a superseding court order made after one parent objects. She had to have falsified information to change your child's name.

You would be within your rights to file a petition to have the child's name changed back to your surname.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does that count even just for changing childs name at nursery and doctor?
Expert:  LegalEase replied 5 years ago.
Ah. No, the above information only applies to a legal name change, done through the courts. If she just told the doctor and nursery care provider that the child's name was different, that does not have the same affect as as legal name change. If the child's name hasn't legally been changed, then providing the doctor and care provider with evidence of the child's actual legal name should be sufficient to change the child's name back in their records.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what you mean i can do something about it to get childs name which is mine on birth certificate changed back?
Expert:  LegalEase replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you just need to take in the legal documentation to the doctor's office.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im not registered in that doctors practice though its my child and her mother and im still trying to get details of nursery its aweful. what do i do?
Expert:  LegalEase replied 5 years ago.
Well, your best bet is to continue to try to interface with the mother. I understand very well how one parent can control the flow of information to the other parent and how frustrating that can be. If necessary, if she continues to stonewall you, you may need to go to court to have her ordered to provide you with the necessary information.
LegalEase and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you