How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Experienced in Divorce Litigation and Property Division Settlements
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my fiancee has been divorced from his ex wife for 7 years.

This answer was rated:

my fiancee has been divorced from his ex wife for 7 years. He paid three years alamony and now she said she was going to file a lawsuit for alaomy for the rest of her life. Is this possible
Generally, alimony is not provided in Texas. If the divorce took place in Texas, the spouse may be entitled to "spousal support" but this is only for a limited time and would never be granted for the rest of her life, as she is threatening.

However, if the divorce took place in a state which does allow alimony, then the court may award it for an extended period of time. Generally, a divorced spouse cannot simply go back to court after the divorce is final and judgment has been rendered and ask for more alimony. It must be part of the original judgment.

So, without seeing the divorce decree issued by the court, I would state that it is highly unlikely that your fiancee's ex-wife will be successful in her attempt to get more money after the divorce.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris
TexLaw and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you