How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the custodial parent and he is refusing to bring kids

Resolved Question:

I am the custodial parent and he is refusing to bring kids home
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Is he in violation of the court order for visitation and custody?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Short version My ex was to have the kids till this afternoon. Now refuses to bring them home. What can I do to get them back? We share joint custody. Im not sure what my rights are here.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - This depends on what your visitation and custody order says as to who has the kids when. If you are supposed to have the kids by tonight according to the order then your ex is in violation of the court order and can be held in contempt of court. If this was just a private agreement to return the kids by tonight and was not part of the court order then you would have nothing to enforce. Since I don't know what your visitation or custody order says I cannot tell you specifically what your rights are. If he is in violation of the order you have the right to file a motion in the family law court for contempt and also ask for attorney fees for bringing the motion.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you