Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

is it a violation of civil rights when a person says you cant

Customer Question

is it a violation of civil rights when a person says you can't associate with a person or u can't see your children?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Who is the person telling you that you can't see your children and who is it you can't associate with and why?

Please explain the circumstances.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my girlfriends x told her that if she associated with me she won't be able to see her 2 girls
Dear JACUSTOMER - Her ex has no power to order this as only a court can order visitation or custody rights for the children. It has nothing to do with civil rights as this is simply a family law issue for the domestic relations court and unless there is a court order the ex cannot set the rules. You girlfriend need to be certain to have a court order for custody of the children to establish her rights. If there is no court order and the ex boyfriend has the kids your girlfriend has no way to get them returned. So she definitely needs a court order. Her ex has no power to tell her with whom she can associate.