How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

is it a violation of civil rights when a person says you cant

Customer Question

is it a violation of civil rights when a person says you can't associate with a person or u can't see your children?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Who is the person telling you that you can't see your children and who is it you can't associate with and why?

Please explain the circumstances.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my girlfriends x told her that if she associated with me she won't be able to see her 2 girls
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - Her ex has no power to order this as only a court can order visitation or custody rights for the children. It has nothing to do with civil rights as this is simply a family law issue for the domestic relations court and unless there is a court order the ex cannot set the rules. You girlfriend need to be certain to have a court order for custody of the children to establish her rights. If there is no court order and the ex boyfriend has the kids your girlfriend has no way to get them returned. So she definitely needs a court order. Her ex has no power to tell her with whom she can associate.