How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks again. This sounds complicated, and expensive. How

Resolved Question:

Thanks again. This sounds complicated, and expensive. How long does this process normally take? What are the costs associated with this process of changing venues and getting the court order modified?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
It is somewhat complicated, yes. If nothing else, it is logistically complicated. But you are likely to want to change venue and jurisdiction at some point anyway so that part may as well happen now. A motion to change venue and jurisdiction typically takes six to eight weeks from the time of filing to the time of the order. A motion to modify custody typically takes another six to eight weeks. So, in total, you might normally expect it to take three to four months. I am not certain of the exactly filing fees in those venues; if you do not use an attorney, the total court fees for both courts would typically be $400 or less--likely around $300.

Brandon M. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you