lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

How do I go about suing for permanent custody of my 2 nephews

Customer Question

How do I go about suing for permanent custody of my 2 nephews who have been placed in forster care. I live in Illinois and they are in minneapolis.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
What have you been told by the caseworker?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They are going to court on 1/3/2012 to decide permanent custody. We are listed as the relatives that want permanent custody. My concern is can the children be given back after a year? How soon would we be able to start the adoption process?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Then you need to be there for court and ask to be made parties to the action. Once you have custody, then you can talk to the caseworker about adoption. The goal is always reunification with the parents so it just depends on the particular facts of your situation. Usually it would be at least a year before child protective services would start the adoption process.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, but if we have custody. Can we get a provate attorney and sue for adoption without waiting for child services.
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Ok, but if we have custody. Can we get a private attorney and sue for adoption without waiting for child services.

Yes you can but it is unlikely to be granted unless the parents agree or either there are sufficient grounds to terminate their parental rights.

An accept for my time is always appreciated and required for me to receive any credit from JA