How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks for your answer. So how do I go about getting a court

Resolved Question:

Thanks for your answer. So how do I go about getting a court order/modification to disallow the step parent from spanking?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello again:

Out of which county is the current order?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Our divorce was in Wichita Falls, Tx. (Wichita County.) I now live in Arkansas and she is in Wichita, Kansas.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
That makes it a little more complicated. If neither the children nor the parents reside in the state where the original custody order was made, the original court is not likely to continue recognizing jurisdiction over the custody matter, which means that there would first need a motion for change of venue and jurisdiction to be filed in the original court. Those forms would have to be requested from the original court. Once that is completed and the order is made, the case would then have to be registered in the state where the children currently reside and a motion to modify custody would have to be filed there (again, forms would be retrieved from the local court). The forms are sometimes available through the court's websites, but a surprising number of courts have not joined the 21st century and you oftentimes still need to make a request directly to the court.
Brandon M. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions