RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

My lawyer has asked me and tried to convince me to take money

My lawyer has asked me and tried to convince me to take money from my ex. I have a temporaty protective order against my ex right now. When I went to his office yesterday my ex's lawyer was sitting in his office with a check in my for $4000.00 to move out by today. I declined the money. I am concerned that they were a)breaking my protective order as I am not to remove any property from the home until we go to court on the 11th and b) bribing me with money to evacuate the home. I would like to fire my lawyer but I am new to the system and don't know how to. Also, I don't feel like he is working in my best interest, the lawyers assistant told me he asked to have the check for $4000.00 written to him!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.

RayAnswers :

You are correct here to decline the money and stay where you are.If you want to terminate your lawyer here you may do so in writing and ask for your files.You have good reason to seek a change of direction in this matter.IT may well benefit you long term to do so.

RayAnswers :

Lawyer referral for you here

RayAnswers :

You are absolutely correct that they are trying to buy you off here.You did the right thing in this matter to decline the money.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Customer:

How do I fire him...I still owe him money?

RayAnswers :

You can fire him in writing.You will have to resolve payment here or he can do collections on you.ut you certainly have right to terminate if you choose.