How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have joint custody of my two year old son. His mother (my

Resolved Question:

I have joint custody of my two year old son. His mother (my ex-girlfried) has been going through some drug issues. Can I request court ordered drug testing for her to retain her joint custody status?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

You cannot just request drug testing. you need to file a petition to modify custody and ask for either sole custody with supervised visitation for her due to her drug issues and request she submit to drug testing. In the hearing on your petition, the court will order drug testing for her if the court believes the allegations. So the request has to be contained in the request to modify custody. If she has a drug issue, you should be seeking to change custody. Be sure to work with a local family law attorney. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I need to retain a lawyer to file a change in custody, or is this something I can do myself? How do I find the necessary forms and instructions?
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
you can file but whether you can understand the legal process is a question for you to answer. you can check with the local clerk of the family law court to see if they have the forms to modify custody. Many of the clerk offices have packets for self-petitioners to purchase. I hope this helps clarify. Thanks and please be sure to click ACCEPT so that I may be given credit for my time and answers. Clicking ACCEPT does not charge you anything more and encourages experts to answer your future questions. Best regards.
GeorgetownLawyr and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you