How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42861
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is divorcing me after four years of marriage. I

Customer Question

My husband is divorcing me after four years of marriage. I am losing the RR pension as soon as the divorce is final.. We have a joint tenant account in borth of our names and i am told i am entitled to half of that. He has an IRA account in his name only and this was his money that he put in while he was waorking. I made no contributiion.I am 68 years old. Am i entitled to any portion of the IRA.We live in Chicago, IL
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.

RayAnswers :

You have a marital interest in anything he earned, saved or contributed here during the marriage.Yes you would be entitled to half of the joint tenant account .

RayAnswers :

The IRA if it predates the marriage would be separate property.

RayAnswers :

In Illinois, the assets and debts acquired during your marriage - called "marital property" - will be divided "in just proportions" when you divorce.

But not all property is considered "marital property." "Non-marital property" includes assets you had before marriage, or income from non-marital property.

In deciding how to divide marital property, judges look at factors including:

- Marriage length
- How much and what kind of marital and non-marital property there is
- The financial circumstances and earning potential of each spouse
- The age and health of each spouse
- Contributions in acquiring property
- How each spouse has benefited from the parties' property
- Obligations and rights from prior marriages
- Any agreements spouses made during the marriage
- Tax consequences of property division

RayAnswers :

You are on the fringe here of asking for alimony/spousal support.A marriage here of five years or more would make you a better candidate but you may ask for it anyway.

RayAnswers :

A court can order alimony, called "maintenance" in Illinois, at its discretion. Factors in deciding on support include:

- Income and property of both parties and their abilities to meet their financial needs
- Marriage length
- Standard of living during the marriage
- Time a spouse needs to retrain or find a suitable job
- Age and physical and emotional condition of the spouse seeking support
- Tax consequences
- A couple's agreement on support

A court can order temporary maintenance while the divorce is pending. Most maintenance is ordered for a specific length of time. You need to show a substantial change of circumstances, such as job loss, when seeking support modification.

RayAnswers :

Here is good self help for responding to his petition and self representing yourself.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.


Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.