Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In a divorce do both sides have a deposition?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/1/2012
Family Lawyer: Lawyer Lori, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer

Lawyer Lori :

Good morning.

Lawyer Lori :

In the vast majority of divorces, neither side will be requested to submit to a deposition. A deposition is a discovery device which is used in some (but not all) contested divorces.

Lawyer Lori :

Should the parties not be able to reach an agreement on, usually, financial and/or custody issues, the case may proceed to the discovery phase in which interrogatories (written questions), document request, and/or depositions may be utilized to gather information.

Lawyer Lori :

A deposition is not required and either party may request that the other party submit to one - usually this is handled by the attorney.

Lawyer Lori :

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer