Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is madagascar wedding worth anything in the US ? If yes

Customer Question
Is madagascar wedding worth anything...
Is madagascar wedding worth anything in the US ?

If yes please answer the following:

- If they verbally fight and left each other and few months later the woman is with another man, how does it work with the assets ? is it still divided or the man keep everything?

please any other info or advice will be well appreciated

thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/1/2012
Family Lawyer: Brandon M., Family Law Attorney replied 5 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your questions. As long as the circumstances of the marriage would make for a valid marriage if held in the United States, the marriage would be valid in the United States. So, for example, if the bride was 13 years of age it would not be valid, but if it was a normal, voluntary ceremony between a single man and single woman, there is generally no reason that it would not be recognized in California.

California is a no-fault community property state. Assets acquired after marriage and before separation, except those assets acquired by gift or inheritance, are generally divided 50/50 regardless of whether there was verbal fighting or if either spouse is with a new man; the reason for the breakdown of the marriage is irrelevant.

Let me know if further clarification is needed. Also, please feel free to ask me another question – if you’re a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment. Please bookmark my profile page here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-trialmaster/. Thank you.
THank you for your answer,

What if a lots of assets are also in American Samoa?
That would have no affect on the outcome.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
thanks again for he answer. How about if the assets is under his name or my name? are those still recognized as our assets?
Title is mostly irrelevant. What matters most is when the assets were acquired, not how title is held.
WHAT if the married man or woman got pregnant? is this affect the assets?
No, that will not affect the assets either.
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney