How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My adult son with disabilities is both a US citizen and a recent

This answer was rated:

My adult son with disabilities is both a US citizen and a recent Canadian citizen. I live in California. His father has been granted guardianship in Canada. My son is now in California with me of his own free will the free will of his father who sent him willingly to me. Is that guardianship legal in the US?

As a general rule, the any state of the United States will recognize the acts of a foreign country. The exception to that rule is where the court order of the foreign country is based on some theory of law that is contradictory to the laws of the US.


For example, some countries will automatically grant custody of children of divorcing parents to the father, regardless of the best interests of the children. As the US courts are required to address the best interests of the child in determining custody, such a foreign order would not honored by the US.


Here though, based on the facts as you have stated them, there does not appear to be anything contradictory to US laws. Additionally, US and Canadian laws are often rather similar. In short, there is no reason to suggest that the Canadian order would not be considered valid here.


Please let me know if anything requires clarification.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you