How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33398
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the ramifications of getting a divorce in South Carolina?

Resolved Question:

What are the ramifications of getting a divorce in South Carolina? Two professionals. Each with school debt. One has considerably more school debt. About half of the debt was incurred while married. They only lived together for about a year, but have been married for 3.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
Can you be a little more specific in your question? "What are the ramifications" is one of those general questions that we answer and then the customer almost always replies "I already knew that". If you can ask specific questions then you are much, much more likely to get an answer that is more help to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will each be responsible for own debt or will the one with less debt still be responsible for the other?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
Technically, each of you is responsible for half of the debt incurred during the marriage. However, what the court usually does is award the debt to the person who incurred it. That is because it is easier to do that than to put a value on the "asset" created by the education.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
JD 1992 and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you