How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31737
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been separated for a couple of years

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have been separated for a couple of years and he put a woman on the phone that stated she loves my husband...she has posted on his facebook wall how happy he makes her. I was told that she is pregnant by someone...where do I stand legally as far as alimony? She is living with him by his own admission.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


Alimony is a need-based award, and will be given by the judge if it can be proven that you need financial support in order to maintain all of your bills and obligations. It may be difficult for you to prove that you need alimony in order to maintain your living expenses since you've been living on your own without support for 2 years.


That said, the judge still can award support, and if it is granted, the judge usually awards it for 1/2 the length of the marriage.


If you can prove that you have a need for the support, it should be granted.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mr. Adams, I live pay check to pay check and have some bills, mainly medical that I want to pay but can't and still be able to live. I do not live extravagantly. I am working a commission job but am guaranteed only minimum wage. I know that I have to clean up my credit and have been contacted by debt collectors...I can not afford to have your expert opinion, what would you do if in my shoes? Please help.

The only thing you can do to get support/alimony is to file for divorce and ask the court to award you support by claiming that you need support to supplement your income in order to allow you to pay your bills and maintain your standard of living.


Also, if you have lived in Colorado for at least 6 months, you can file for divorce in your home county instead of having to go back to Alabama to have this resolved.

Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you