How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband and I are getting divorced - he left - then moved

Resolved Question:

my husband and I are getting divorced - he left - then moved back in. he is now parading his new girlfriend around town. We were initally trying for a amicable settlement agreement. I am concerend about exposing my chilren to his brazen behavoir. I will be traveling for work later this week and want to know if I have grounds to change the locks and prohibit him from living here?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


Unless there is a court order in place that prohibits him from living in the house, you can't keep him out. Even if you were to change the locks, he could still enter (even if he broke a window, etc. to get in - because he can't break in his own house).


In order to keep him out, you would have to file a motion for an order - at least temporary - that gives you the right to live in the property and orders him to vacate. If you can get that, you can keep him out. Otherwise, you can't force him to vacate.

Roger and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you