How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADY LAWYER Your Own Question
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LADY LAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How long does it take for child support to be established in

This answer was rated:

How long does it take for child support to be established in Colorado? What are the steps? I filed for child support against my kids dad in December 2009. He was deployed and Georgia was slow to send the paperwork to Colorado. The case finally got started May 2011 when he returned. He has so far had two meetings since September. He has another one on December 29th. We have not established Paternity. The letters I get in the mail state the meetings are Negotiation Conferences. Why does it take so long?




Have you filed for support through the courts or through the office of child support enforcement?


Has he challenged paternity? Are you attending the negotiation conferences?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I filed for child Support through the Georgia Child Support Enforcement. He has challenged paternity and he was not present for their birth. The letters state my attendance is not required at the meetings, even via telephone. I live in Georgia and he is stationed in Colorado.
I see, thank you. Well, if he was deployed, the service members act prevents the case from moving forward until he was back. So that was probably the main delay. Now that he is back though things are going slowly because he has challenged paternity. You may need to consider filing for child support in the CO court system. Then if he wants to challenge paternity, the judge will order a DNA test and it should not take but a couple weeks. The good news is that you will be able to get retroactive support but going through CSE can take much longer than going through the courts if paternity is challenged. If you want to go through the court you would do so in CO, where the children reside. You can file the petition for child support yourself with the family law clerk of court at your local court house. They will have the forms for you to use.

If you have any more questions, I am happy to answer them! If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My children live with me in Georgia, so should I file through the Georgia courts? I have the papers to file through the Colorado courts where he lives, but I cannot afford the filing fee. Hence why I am going through the State enforcement to get child support.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also I spoke to my case manager in Colorado and they stated that he can request paternity which I thought he would be required to do on the First meeting. Why have we not got instructions to do the DNA testing?
Sorry, I got the two states mixed up. If you live in GA, yes, you should file there. But if you cannot afford the fees, you may just have to wait it out. Challenging the paternity is what is taking so long here as he is entitled to his due process. I could not say why he has not had to take a DNA test yet, especially because I do not have access to what is going on in the meetings. You do have a right to at least appear by phone if you want to. This way, you can at least ask about the hold up as there should have already been a test ordered. But like I said, you will at least be able to get back support based on the time you filed the petition.
LADY LAWYER and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions