How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband still owns the building of a plumbing and heating

This answer was rated:

My husband still owns the building of a plumbing and heating store in Park Falls, WI. We are now on fixed income and cannot afford to pay the taxes, insurance and maintenance on it. We don't want the store, which still has some copper fittings, aluminium sheeting etc. How can we get out from under, legally? What happens if he defaults on the taxes and allows the city to take it over? Could he give it to charity? Help!

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


Is there any debt against the property - like a mortgage?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. He owns it free and clear. There are no liens on the property

Ok. Thanks.


In that case, he can transfer or donate the property to anyone he wants. The tax debt will follow the property and the new owner would be responsible for the real estate taxes.


If you don't transfer the property, the city and county will continue to assess taxes, and after 2-3 years, the property can be transferred to a purchaser for taxes due to the city and county.


The city and county cannot sue you for the debt. Instead, the property stands as security for the taxes.

Roger and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is az "purchaser"for taxes? Also, a little wrinkle: The property's underground is polluted and they are doing remediations, which just puts us in limbo forever.

When property taxes are not paid by the landowner, the city/county sells the taxes at public sale to a buyer at an auction. That person/purchaser has a lien against the property, and after 2-3 years, that buyer at the auction can apply for a deed to the property and state an ownership claim to the property.


If there are problems with the property, your husband would be required to disclose any issues to anyone that he deeds/donates the property to. As long as he does that, he is fine.



Related Family Law Questions