Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

I have a judgment from a divorce against my ex-husband and

I have a judgment from a divorce against my ex-husband and I would like to know how I can collect on it. I have done a writ of execution against his bank account and recovered a very small portion of the balance. He has since changed banks, he is the owner of his business so I have been told I cannot garnish wages. (I don't know if that is true or not). What other avenues do I have to receive this money?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

You can garnish wages but if he is self employed it is very difficult to achieve because there is no oversight to the enforcement. You can keep search for bank accounts or force him back into court with an informational subpoena to disclose any new bank account and/or assets to attach your lien. You can also seek to attach his tax return if the judgment is for child support. Otherwise you may wish to retain the services of a collection agency. Most people dont know there are support and judgment collection agencies that can be retained to obtain the money for you, just as if you were a major credit card company. You can just google to find the various ones and shop around to one which has the best rate.