How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question: If I requested a modification of an existing child

Customer Question

Question: If I requested a modification of an existing child support
order on May 28 2011, and the final decision was made on July 5 2011. When am I allowed to request another modification hearing without a motion from a judge. Would it be six months from May 28 2011 or would it be six months from the final decision made on July 5 2011? I reside in Pennsylvania. Thanks for your help ...
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

There is no set number of months before a modification may be requested normally, but a showing of material change in circumstances is required.

A petition to modify the child support order may be filed by either party to a support action if a material change in circumstances has taken place typically. One example of a material change is the loss or change of income or employment by either party. The Domestic Relations Section (DRS) of the county court is responsible for determining whether or not a material change in circumstances has occurred. To file a Modification Petition, contact the DRS that manages your case, and request a petition for modification, complete the petition and return it to the DRS. The DRS will advise you of its determination and if and when a hearing will occur.

Here is a link that provides more information:

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have already been denied a hearing , with drs explaination that six months has not gone by yet. Drs states that six months is required between intervals. They dated it from the time of the final decision. I thought there must be some guide line that they are required to follow. My reason for modification is because I have just been awarded my social security benefits. I am sixty years old with six months left of achild support order. My daughter is eligable for ss benefits. However the existing support order must be re- written for her to recieve this.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

What county are you in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am in allegheny , however the drs case is in Washington county ,PA
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

Many courts do have such a rule, but I have not located one for this court. However, since the DRS is telling you that, you will need to wait 6 months since the previous modification typically. The rule is to prevent individuals from returning to court repeatedly and wasting state/local resources. However, I do not see where it should apply in your situation.

If you are a low income individual, I would contact the local legal aid clinic to see whether an attorney there can assist you in pursuing this matter.

All the best to you!