How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently have sole custody of my 17-year-old daughter.

Resolved Question:

I currently have sole custody of my 17-year-old daughter. She recently got mad at me and went to live with her father. Now, her father says he is no longer going to pay child support since she is living with him. Without my child support, I cannot pay my home mortgage. Can he really just cut me off like this? He always made his child support payments to me directly, not through the court.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Unless the order of support is modified or terminated, he is required to abide by the court's order typically.

Therefore, he should continue to make the payments based on the court's order unless he obtains a modification of the custody and support orders normally.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What can I do if he does not have anything changed in court and he just stops paying me child support?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Your recourse would typically involve filing a motion for order to show with the court requesting that he be held in contempt and even jailed until he complies with the court's order.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Once the court learns that my daughter went to live with her father, I'm afraid they will agree to stopping my child support, or possibly make me pay child support, which I cannot afford. I will not give up my custody of my daughter. What is the probability that the court will drop child support as long as my daughter is living with her father?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
At your daughter's age, the court is likely to put more weight on her choice of where to live and certainly could grant custody to the father and terminate the order of support. That is a risk in bringing the motion for order to show cause, since you would not typically be entitled to support any further if the child is no longer in your custody.

The support should continue to be paid though until the order is modified, such that the court would typically not modify the order retroactively.
Tina and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you